Thursday 3 March 2016

Strobegirl Q&A

Your name:
My name is Heather-Jane.

Where are you from?
I am from Croydon, South of London.

Name of band: 
I work under the name of Strobegirl.

Who else is in your band?
It's just me :-) I play all the instrument parts myself, but sometimes I collaborate with other artists and producers.

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
I would describe myself as eclectic and kooky! The music I am currently producing I describe as folktronica as I blend folky and electro elements together in my work. I like to take elements from different genres and mix them up.

Who are your main influences musically?
My musical influences are hugely varied and there are so many of them. I was influenced early on by folk artists then later by punk, rock and electronica. Vocal wise I have been influenced a lot by Joni Mitchell, Julianne Regan, Hope Sandoval, Siouxsie Sioux, Suzanne Vega, Tori Amos and Deborah Harry.  
Music wise I have been influenced by those people too but also Kraftwerk, Cocteau Twins, Depeche Mode, Queens of The Stone Age, Massive Attack, Sufjan Stevens, Grimes, Alt J, Little Boots, Imogen Heap, Froux Froux, The Japanese House, Foals, 1975 a big mixture.  
I am very very taken with the work Grimes has been producing lately as well as Alt J. They are two current artists that I admire a lot. Again I think I am attracted to the way they build up such emotive layers in their music. Fantastic musical soundscaping, I like that. I could talk music and musical influences all day!

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I have achieved what I set out to do which was to produce music and find an audience for it. I am happy with where I am at, I have no desire for fame or fortune etc, that's not why I do it although I wouldn't say no to a wider audience and a regular income.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
The highlight of my career was the year 2015 because so much amazing stuff came together! A track that I had written with one of my collaborators Illustrial was picked up and used on TV and on the back of that many good things have happened.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
There's been nothing that I want to forget yet, so maybe that's still to come! I'm a big believer in taking positive from a not so great situation and learning and moving forward from that point so maybe that's why nothing seems like a negative. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I think it would be my current track Alice as it is the culmination of a huge musical journey and I am really happy with how I have blended the folk and electro influences in to it as well as the other diverse musical sounds I had wanted to try and blend. 

Where can we listen to it?
You can listen to it and download it from my bandcamp page and also listen to it from my soundcloud page the direct links are here :- 



Where can we find out more about your music?
You can find me on most of the social networking sites and my downloads are available from my bandcamp page. There is currently a 15% reduction if you buy my full discography!

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
Just please take a listen to it. I have a large back catalogue of tracks through my collaborations with other people as well as my own material. l  do like to think there is something a little refreshing and different about the music I produce and I would love to share it with as many people as possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment