Monday 27 October 2014

William Stead Q&A

Your name:
William Stead.

Where are you from?
Bradford (currently in London).

How would you describe yourself and your music?
I'm a massive folk fan, but I'm also obsessed with atmospheric reverb and big epic guitars. I tried to incorporate this as much as possible into my new record without losing my original sound from my first EP.

Who are your main influences musically?
Bob Dylan is a massive influence and also Bon Iver. To me, Bon Iver are the best thing around at the moment. Unbelievable stuff. I'm also a massive fan of James Vincent McMorrow, James Blake and Alt-J.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
For me, music has always been a massive part of my life. As long as I can make people feel happy from listening to my music then I feel I have done a good job. I just want people to enjoy listening to the tunes I write and if anything else comes from that then its amazing!

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Me and my old backing band played the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds supporting MMX and that was unbelievable. To be able to play on the same stage as people such as Johnny Marr was a great privilege and to open for a band on a headline tour was also unreal! The sound was amazing too so that was a brilliant gig. Another highlight was the release of my first EP, which was pretty awesome. Finally seeing all the hard work I put into it starting to pay off!

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Playing countless of gigs to an empty room. As an unsigned musician this sort of stuff happens all the time so I've now learnt to get used to it. The thing is, even if one person turns up to the show, it makes my night!

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I think the best song to describe my music now is 'Sleep' which is the opening track on my new EP. (Released 13/10/2014). The reason being is that I believe it shows my new musical direction and shows how much better my songwriting has become. Also, heres my new single that I'm pretty proud of! Go check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnvMlTyI_NI

Where can we listen to it? 
You can listen to and download for free my new EP at www.williamstead.bandcamp.com. (You can also grab my old one there too, plus a couple of covers!)



Where can we find out more about your music? 
Twitter - @williamfstead

No comments:

Post a Comment