Monday 26 May 2014

Fiona Hare Q&A

Your name: 
Fiona Hare.

Where are you From?
Cape Town, South Africa.

How would you describe yourself?
Funny, outgoing, compassionate.

Who are your main influences musically?
Any music from the 1970s, Chopin piano concertos, Gonzales, Abdullah Ibrahim, Idan Rachael, Keith Jarret, Afro Cellt Sound System, Led Zepplin, Sarah Mclachlan, Loreena McKennitt, Cat Power, Tracy Chapman, Alela Diane, Tori Amos, Jewel, Heather Nova, Eddi Brickel, Elliott Smith, Vrou Vrou, Feist, Nina Simone, Imogen Heap, The Shins, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Crosby Stills, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Jethro Tull, The Beatles, Hot Chip, Soul Wax, my dad's violin, blue grass, anything celtic, or tribal.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I write for me, it’s very personal, it’s like breathing, you can’t not do it. I write music to remember the world, music is how I decipher and navigate the world. Fame is not important. It never will be. I hope that people will enjoy and connect to my music. I’ve been told by people recently “It’s like you’ve taken everything I’ve ever experienced and put it in a song”, “It’s like you’ve gotten inside me head, and put all my emotions and everything I’ve felt into music.” So that’s pretty rad.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Releasing my first album.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Late nights, driving to gigs. You have to slog through cold storms and rain and freezing winters alone, set up alone, and sing alone. It can be tiring and lonely at times. But then, when you pick up your guitar and sing, the warmth comes back to you and you know why you’re doing it. It’s rewarding. I’m grateful to my folks for not letting me quit piano and guitar in school. I wanted to at times but they wouldn’t let me. That builds character.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
No ways that’s difficult! I love them all, but I really love This is the Thing, it was recorded last, it’s a mix of electronica and nu-folk, a good balance of what I do. And it’s pretty dark, it’s about forbidden love, and falling in love with someone you’re not supposed to. Unrequited love. But all the songs are different and will appeal differently to people and what they’re going through at the time.

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
Well we’re remixing some of the tracks which I’m looking forward to hearing, it will be different, I’m keen to hear what comes out. It will be more commercial. I kept the album purely folky and instrument orientated for me, to keep totally authentic to who I am. Hearing them mixed as a dance track will be wild! 

No comments:

Post a Comment