Monday 31 March 2014

Skyline Advantage Q&A

Your name: 
Kieran Ball.

Where are you from?
The Isle of Man, England.

Name of band:
Skyline Advantage.

Who else is in your band?
Just me at the moment. Although Small Bear Records' Phil Reynolds has contributed greatly during the recording process!

How would you describe yourself?
My music has been described as pop punk. I'm not the biggest fan of that genre label, although it's not exactly unfitting for some songs, however certain tracks I wouldn't put near that. I prefer the term alt-pop. The general premise is jangly guitars with louder distorted sections. In terms of a sounds like? I couldn't begin to say!

Who are your main influences musically?
There are so many artists that have influenced me however I'll try to keep the list short:
Placebo, Tsunami Bomb, Bloc Party, Survival Guide, The Cure, The Action Design, NoFx and Nanaki (or more specifically Mikie Daugherty)

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I fundamentally aspire to write good songs. In my eyes this can be many things, a catchy melody, a clever chord progression or just something that really comes from the heart. I'd love for as many people as possible to hear my music, and if they enjoy it that's obviously a winner.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
As far as this solo project goes it's very early days. I'm in the process of recording my debut The Songs About Stuff EP. These are songs that I've written that haven't really worked or fitted with my other bands or that were too personal to be sung by anyone else. I have really enjoyed going from songs written on an acoustic guitar in my flat to being able to record layers of guitars with a variety of amps to really drill down and get the sounds I want! It helps having an amazing producer to help you get the elusive tone you've been hearing in your head. If you haven't already, check out Small Bear Records! There's some fantastic things going on with them!!

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Again as it's early days I haven't had many face palm, what where you thinking moments. Hopefully I'll have lots of time to do things I'll regret :p

 If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Hmm. Well my personal favourite would be Mother. A very personal song which I think is the sound and style I want to progress with more an more! It has slightly more experimental elements (such as using a toy ray gun through the guitar pickups) than the other tracks on the album and was the first song I wrote in DADGAD tuning. I think this song is the best thing I've ever written.

Where can we find out more about your music?
For random musings and updates on when the EP will be available see Facebook and Twitter: 
When the EP is released it will be available through the Small Bear Records site:
(In the meantime check out Postcode, Nanaki, Phil Reynolds and the Dearly Departed and Clara Barker)

No comments:

Post a Comment