Wednesday 28 August 2013

Good Nite Gilligan Q&A

Your name:
Matthew Riopel.

Where are you from?
Montreal, Canada.

Name of band:
Good Nite Gilligan.

Who else is in your band?
Eric Mallette is on bass, Chris Brown is on guitar, Serge Bricault plays drums, and I sing and play lead guitar.
Good Nite Gilligan was formed about two years ago to record our old songs from our teenage years. It was a project to finally put closure on our former band (Gilligan's Fish). But as we played more and more together, we found our love of jamming and making music grow again. After our first show as Good Nite Gilligan, our drummer quit and left us in a tight situation. Instead of falling apart, we did a big drummer search, and after meeting many talented people, we met Serge. Not only is Serge an incredible talent, but he quickly became a good friend. 

How would you describe yourselves?
We're the kind of guys who take our music seriously, but not ourselves...too much. We like to be goofy and just have fun without all the stress that most bands put on themselves.

Who are your main influences musically?
I can't speak for everyone in the band, but for myself growing up in the 90's, the grunge scene was my thing. Bands like Soundgarden, Nirvana, and Weezer, to Pennywise, Bad Religion, Rage Against The Machine, and Nine Inch Nails.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Glory, superstardom, famousness...ok I can't keep a straight face while saying that! Seriously though, we want to make good music that people can jump, dance, or tap their feet to. Our goal was to perform live as often as we could, but also to record and create. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
A career in music? The day I can quit my day job will be the day I answer this question.

If you had to choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Finally Cool. This was a song I wrote when I was about 16, and basically it is about what we had to do as teenagers to be accepted, or deemed cool. I basically make fun of the things people need to do to be accepted in society. Even though it is about adolescent situations, I believe it can still be applied today as an adult in my 30s.

Where can we listen to it?
Well you can see us playing it live recorded on smart phones at our shows (here), but we are in the stages of mixing our EP, which will be ready in late September. So we will have a great version for you very soon!!

Where can we find out more about your music?

No comments:

Post a Comment